February 05, 2010

Gracias a Dios que es Viernes!

The weekend is finally here! This week has such a roller coaster and I'm glad we finally have some down time. Of course, we can't sleep in tomorrow because we have to meet at early for our excursion to Ronda. But it looks like a really gorgeous place so I have to make sure I charge my camera battery so I can take lots and lots and lots of pictures!

Yesterday I got to enjoy my first siesta! Let me tell you, those naps are amazing. Granted, a siesta for a normal Spanish person is a 20-minute power nap after lunch. But all of the students here have been taking the idea of the siesta and running with it. Some people have taken 4 hour naps in the middle of the day! But they are glorious.

Yesterday Emma and I met our neighbor, Katie, for an intercambio with one of her Spanish acquaintances. She also brought along a couple of her friends who got stuck in Malaga last night after missing their flight to Venice for their break. Both of them have been in Spain since September. I was amazed by their level of speaking. It still boggles my mind that people can use the correct verb tenses without even thinking. It still takes me awhile to prepare a sentence. But that's what intercambios are for - to practice, practice, practice.

We met her friend, Patricia, and headed to a cute Queseria, where they specialize in QUESO. We had told our senora we would be back for dinner so we only taste tested a few things. But OH. MY. GOODNESS. was it good. I definitely want to go back there whenever my scholarship money comes in!

It was a good experience just to see how much I have yet to learn about the language. The other students at the table were so good at speaking, it just came naturally. I want to be like that. I feel like a blundering idiot but I just have to push through it. I have another intercambio tonight so I have another chance at practicing. I'll let you know how that goes!

Thank goodness it's sunny and warm in Malaga today. I was sick of being cold and wet. And I definitely did not pack for that kind of weather. Hopefully the weather is nice where ever you are too! I miss you all! Abrazos y besos :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you are having such a great time.Your enthusiasm is contagious. Can hardly wait for the next blog.
Ownie