February 25, 2010

Domo Arigato

Things in Spain are starting to fall into a comfortable routine. My day usually consists of waking up at 6:45 (and hitting snooze a few times...), classing, lunching, and classing again. The afternoons I usually fill with homework, planning excursions, and surfing the interwebs. Sometimes I even throw a run in to make up for all of the delicious fried food I've been eating :)

We have also become regulars at our 1 euro cerveceria on Wednesdays. They definitely give the group something to look forward on Hump Day and help us make it through until viernes. I crave my weekly tinto de verano in a huge jarra. Yum! But this week we had to settle for Cerveza Mahou in a glass - kind of a bummer but not so bad!

In other news, I finally touched the Mediterranean the other day! I went for a run around sunset - the best time for people watching! On my run I saw a couple of foreigners walking in the other direction with a 2-liter bottle of tinto de verano in their hands. In Spain, this is called botellon, which means drinking alcohol in the streets. It's illegal in most places except for certain festivals, like Carnavale in Cadiz. (Oh, Cadiz...) At my usual turnaround point, I was feeling pretty good so I continued to run and explore a little. I came across a beachside restaurant-shack thing and decided to stretch, touch the water and enjoy the moment. Surprisingly, Mediterranean water is the same as Gulf of Mexico water just a little colder :)

I'm also leaving for Morocco tomorrow morning! It's pretty cool to think that this time next week I'll be able to say "Yeah, I've been to Africa. No biggie." And then we have excursions lined up every weekend after this until Semana Santa at the end of March!

And while all of this is exciting, I still get pangs of homesickness once in awhile. I know I will miss Malaga and Spain terribly but I can't wait to see all of you in 48 short days :)

No comments: