February 18, 2010

The Beginning of an Era

Woo! I'm officially 20! And it was one of the best birthdays I've ever had!

But yesterday afternoon I started thinking it wasn't going to be so great. I really wanted to go on the tour of Alcazaba, the huge fort wall on top of a cliff. The email said to meet at the meeting spot to head up the hill. I got there about 15 minutes early after my afternoon class. I wandered around the plaza around the cathedral, admired the cool architecture, noticed a dead bird in one of the rafters. I looked up and down the street but I didn't see anyone. Finally I called Alissa around 5:05.

"Hey girl! Where are you guys?"

"Hey! We're at the Alcazaba entrance. Where are you?"

"Oh, crap."

I now know that there are more than one meeting places and I was at the wrong one. After running around downtown Malaga for about 5 minutes looking for the entrance to the Alcazaba, I got myself completely lost and had to call her back and tell them to go on without me. So I missed out on the tour. But the sun was FINALLY out so I decided to do a little adventuring. I walked around the commercial areas of town and then headed back towards the Malagueta. There are steep walkways all the way up the cliffside with some really scenic views but I never knew how to get there. I stumbled upon the sidewalk by accident and just made my way all the way to the top. I'm so glad I did because the views were so gorgeous!





After my own little excursion, I got ready to go our for drinks and dinner with our whole group. I was surprised that almost everyone from our group showed up! No one can turn down 1 euro drinks and sandwiches! I was just wanted to get everyone together in the middle of the week and have a good time so I was so surprised when they walk up with a chocolate ice-cream cake, a bottle of champagne, and a princess tiara! I was also serenaded by the entire restaurant (since we basically took up the entire joint). I had no idea they had planned anything and it was a really special night.



Probably the most ridiculous picture I've ever seen.


Like I said yesterday, I'm feel so lucky to be surrounded by such fun, sweet, funny, nice and amazing people. I think we genuinely enjoy each other's company, which is why we have so much fun together! And the fun will continue this weekend in Granada, where we have our first overnight excursion since our orientation. And we're all intrigued by our directors' "surprise" Saturday night. We're meeting around 8:30 and we won't finish until 11:30ish. We were also told to where our going out clothes if we plan to go out later but also wear comfy shoes? Hmm, I'll let you know once I find out!

We also reserved our spots for a trip to Morocco for next weekend! The trip is planned through a travel agency and includes a boat ride there and back, 2 nights in a hotel, and complimentary breakfast. We'll have to do some research to check out what sort of things we can do while we're there. I'm definitely ready for a completely new experience, like riding on camels through the desert!

Everytime I experience something new, I wish you guys were here to experience it with me. Thank you all for being so supportive and loving for the past 20 years of my life. I would not have the opportunity to do this if it weren't for you all. And a special thank you to Pdubbs, who has been wonderful throughout this whole thing. :)

I love you and I miss you and I will see you soon!


Birthday rainbow :)

No comments: