May 11, 2011

Year in Review

Let's start blogging again! The past 8 months have been a whirlwind - I'll try to recap some of the highlights before moving forward to bigger and better things.

Recap
1. First year of nursing school
Donezo!

I had no idea what I was getting myself into this time last year. I could count the number of times I had been to the hospital on 1 hand before starting nursing school!

I've learned a lot the past 8 months - and none of it came easily. I have never ever been tested so much academically. Nursing involves a different way of thinking about things, which took some adjustment at first. My GPA took a bit of a hit but I know I did my best throughout the year. I'm sure this is the right career path for me and I can't wait to see what the future holds.

2. Phi Sigma Pi


I'm so proud of our Brotherhood for working together to overcome obstacles. We've come a long way in the past year thanks to the help of every single member, new and old. We will definitely miss the leadership and fellowship of our new alumni but I know with the help of our new Brothers, we will be able to step up to the challenge. I'm especially proud of my two new littles, Kristen & Rachael, and can't wait to see them grow and develop with the Fraternity. I'm also grateful for everyone's support for...

3. Dance Marathon!!!


This year, UF helped raise over $700,000 to benefit Shands Children's Hospital here in Gainesville through Children's Miracle Network. All of this money will go towards lifesaving equipment and diversionary activities for the children and families seeking care at Shands. Every single person involved made an impact on the lives of these children and families. I loved working with Erin during the spring semester to help Phi Sigma Pi raise over $14,000 for the cause. It was a lot of hard work but it's all worth it. From seeing the CMN balloons on nearly every piece of equipment on the pediatric units to watching the kids play in the play areas funded by CMN to finally seeing a patient discharged after receiving lifesaving treatments, WE helped make these miracles happen and it's a wonderful feeling.

Thank you to all my readers who helped make this happen. We couldn't have done it without your support and generous contributions. Thank you thank you thank you from the very bottom of my heart. (Sorry I haven't gotten all of my thank-you cards out but they're coming!)

4. Ben is finally taller than me
I need to practice walking in heels.

5. New job, new car
I got a job as an "assistant care personnel" in a hospital in Jacksonville for the summer. I'm very grateful to have an aunt who lives there and has been graciously letting me stay with her.Thank you, Aunt Claudia!!!

I'll be working 3 12-hour shifts a week for the rest of the summer. During this time, I'll have a preceptor to shadow. I'm very grateful for this opportunity, especially given the uncertainty of the entire application process. It all started with a shot-in-the-dark email and I think it will turn out to be a great experience.

And since this job requires a bit of commuting, my parents surprised me with a new car! Her name is Chuck, short for Charlotte, and she's a beautiful Honda Civic. Sadly, she has already had a run-in with a wandering key. Someone keyed her while she was sitting outside of our house. Really, who does that? But she'll get buffed up and looking like new next week! J has the 4Runner now that she is done with her first year of college.

WHAT?!

And Dr. Brother is about to finish 7th grade.

Yep, a 7th grader is taller than me.

Moving forward
Now that school is over, I don't have many responsibilities or obligations outside of work. I plan on spending my free time researching grad school options, working out, tanning and exploring Gainesville. Hopefully I can pull PDubbs away from his classes for a quick day trip the Rainbow River or Ginnie Springs (get ready, PDubbs!). A lot of my friends are still in town this summer so I plan on catching up with them since I didn't have much time for socializing this entire year. Time to change that!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hurray for summer blogging :)

Love it and love you!