September 30, 2009

Rabbit! Rabbit!

I don't remember spending hours upon hours of watching TV when I was a kid. My sister and I were pretty creative with the plethora of Barbies, stuffed animals, games, and characters our parents and grandparents showered us with. Since I didn't watch much TV, I remember what little we did watch very well.

Nickelodeon was our fave. Fortunately, the Golden Age of Nickelodeon coincided with our childhood. Rugrats, Aaahh!! Real Monsters, Global Guts, Doug, Stick Stickly's Nick in the Afternoon, The Adventures of Pete & Pete, All That, Clarissa Explains it All, Legends of the Hidden Temple... Geez, maybe we did watch a lot of television.

In the early 1990's, Nickelodeon had a program called Nick Days, which had an event for everyday of the year. During the commercial breaks, it would announce some fun fact or another that coincided with that day. The first of every month was "Rabbit Rabbit Day." The commercial said that saying "rabbit rabbit" when you wake up on the first day of the month would bring you good luck for the rest of the month.

This tradition has stuck with our family ever since. We used to get notes in our lunches with pictures of rabbits on the first of the month. I've also shared this superstition with most of my friends throughout my life.

So tomorrow morning, just say "rabbit rabbit" before you groan about the alarm.

1 comment:

Dr. Brother said...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit_rabbit a Wikipedia I found about it. May or may not be reliable.