September 23, 2012

Recipe: Pumpkin Shortbread

Hooray for fall! My love for October has been heavily documented (here & here) on this blog. While October is clearly the favorite in my book, my excitement does not stop there. Oh no! I spread the love to all months that one can partake in wearing sweatshirts, driving with the windows down, and eating anything pumpkin-flavored.


Barney was one smart dinosaur.

For the past 3 years, I've started celebrating my favorite season by baking the same fall-inspired dessert: pumpkin biscotti. I jumped the gun this year and made it back in the beginning of September. And it was everything I dreamed of all year and more! Perfect for dipping in coffee, as an afternoon snack with tea or crumbled into some yogurt.

I finished off the last of the batch yesterday with my morning coffee and went into pumpkin withdrawals approximately 27 seconds later. I need pumpkin-flavored treats nearby at all times during this glorious season.

I've pinned a bunch of pumpkin and fall-related recipes on Pinterest lately. Pumpkin granola, pumpkin cheddar mac & cheese, pumpkin chili, pumpkin fudge... you name it, it's out there. But I hadn't seen a recipe for one of my favorite types of cookies - shortbread. I love the buttery goodness and crumbly texture. And adding pumpkin to it? Perfection.

After a little research, I finally found a recipe that seemed to fit the bill. Plus, the author seems just as smitten with pumpkin and its respective season as I am! These cookies are absolutely beautiful and smell just like fall when coming out of the oven. They're not as crumbly nor as sweet as your typical shortbread. But they are the perfect complement to a strong cup of coffee!

Pumpkin Shortbread
Barley adapted from Adventures in Shaw
Makes about 2 dozen cookies


Ingredients
2 sticks butter, room temperature
1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
2 cups flour (I used all-purpose, but I would love to try whole wheat to see if it adds some nuttiness)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup pumpkin puree
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice



Instructions
1. Using a stand (or hand) mixer, beat butter until smooth. Add sugar and beat until fluffy. Scrape down bowl. Add flour & salt in 2 additions, scraping down the bowl in between, until incorporated. Add pumpkin puree, vanilla extract and pumpkin pie spice until dough forms.


Smooooth like butter
After sugar added. I think this is fluffy?
Hello, beautiful autumn elixir.
Va-va-voom, check out that color!

2. Turn dough out onto wax or parchment paper. Roll into thick log, about 12" long and wrap in paper. Place log in freezer for 1 hour.

Plop aka The New Jim. (Anyone watch The Office this week?)

3. After 1 hour, cut the log into 1/4"-thick disks and lay on baking sheets covered in parchment paper. Refrigerate cookies while the oven preheats to 350'F. Bake 20-25 minutes, until lightly browned. Cool on wire racks before serving.

Right before hitting the oven.



1 comment:

Beth said...

Yum! Wanna come bring some of those beauties to your momma? :)