September 11, 2011

On this day


September 11, 2001 is a day we will never forget. On this day 10 years ago, things were different.

Personally, I was in 6th grade at Dowdell. It was my first year wearing the coveted blue & yellow Brandon FC uniform. I had never picked up a clarinet. I couldn't tell you where Gainesville was located on a map. Dr. Brother didn't know how to read yet. J was still learning how to french braid her hair.

To put it in a sports perspective, the Bucs had yet to win a Super Bowl. Mia Hamm was still playing soccer. Michael Phelps had 0 gold medals.

In pop culture, the first Harry Potter movie had yet to hit theaters. NSYNC was still making music. ENRON was a thriving company. Barack Obama was an Illinois senator. Justin Bieber was in 1st grade.

Security lines were mere formalities, nothing to sweat about. We were able to keep all of our clothes on. Many Americans couldn't locate Afghanistan on a map. Osama Bin who?

September 11, 2001 is a day we will never forget.

I was walking to lunch when my friend, Madison, told me a plane had crashed into some building in New York City. "Really?" I asked. And I kept walking. It was a weird comment but Madison was known for saying silly things.

After lunch, my teacher was called out of the classroom and came back crying. After collecting herself, she attempted to continue with the lesson without mentioning the reason for the interruption.

At this point, I knew something was wrong. Something BIG. Over the next hour, about half the class had been signed out of school. By the time me & my carpool were called out over the intercom to go home, we were all concerned. We piled into the van where Ms. Swanson told us about the events that had transpired throughout the morning.

It was my first experience with hate and it was a fast lesson.

Almost 3,000 Americans lost their lives in the attacks that day. But our enemies did not succeed. They failed to realize that our spirit can not be broken so easily. Over the next few months, Americans pulled together to support each other through the hard times. It made us stronger, prouder & more united than ever.

September 11, 2001 is a day we will never forget. God bless America.

1 comment:

Beth said...

Well said. <3 Love you!