October 05, 2009

My B

I take back what I said about October.

Not all of it. It's still my favorite month. It still possesses all of those wonderful qualities, such as lovely weather and awesome athletics.

But, like most things in life, the month of October is flawed. From my perspective at least. Some people might disagree completely and argue that this unfortunate coincidence makes October better, if you can even imagine such a thing.

Let me preface my argument with a little history. To do so, we will need to go back in time.

It was around 1998. As you know, JJ and I used to watch LOTS of Nickelodeon back in the day. During this Golden Age, there was a show called "Are You Scared of the Dark?" It involved a group a tweens getting together at twilight in the middle of the woods, sitting around, throwing magic glitter into the campfire and telling quasi-scary stories. No matter how corny or poorly depicted, it still kept me up at night. JJ actually enjoyed the show so she was pissed when our parents banned us from watching it for the rest of forever. And so began my repulsion for scary things.

Fast forward to 2002. The Sixth Sense was all the rage with my 6th-grade friends and I was not about to be left out After much begging and pleading and promising to clean our rooms, our parents reluctantly rented it and agreed to watch it as a family.

Big mistake. I couldn't sleep alone for a good 6 months after watching that friggin' movie.

I know, I know. It's really not scary at all. But I'm a big baby and anything remotely abnormal scares me.

Fast forward to 2008. PDubbs makes me watch Saw IVXM. I don't know exactly which one it was. But I do know that a) there are far too many of them and b) they are all exactly the same anyways.

As you can see, I am terribly frightened but scary/ gory/ psychological movies. And, as you can imagine, October is not the best month to be a scaredy cat considering all of the scary movies coming out around Halloween. Even the previews for Halloween Horror Nights give me the heebie-jeebies.

Now if you'll excuse me, a preview for Zombieland just came on. I love you. You love me. We're a happy family...

No comments: